Sunday, July 15, 2012

Today I Begin

Today I begin a blog!    

I am both excited and a bit nervous.  Far more excited, than nervous - but the technology of all this is totally new to me.  I don't know how to change my blog design beyond the already prepared templates that are provided here.  That's one of my first new learning objectives - because I want a cute blog too!  I have to figure out how to -  I started to list here what I need to learn, but that's just depressing; it's so, so much.

As for the excited part - I "discovered" teaching blogs last spring, and have spent the summer stalking as many as I could find.  I don't know how I missed this for so long!  Yes, really I do.  I've read, been directed too, looked at blogs (not teaching blogs!) and thought, "Eh."  I never saw the joy, excitement, FUN that others saw.  And I am a voracious reader.  Really, I read all the time.  Probably to the detriment of my health - I should get up and exercise more.  My mother tells everyone about how I would read the cereal boxes every morning at the breakfast table.  I even remember the first word I learned to read, "Texaco."  Really.  It's true.  We were driving across country to visit family one summer, and at every town we saw the same sign.  I learned to read and spell that single word on that trip.  I was a proud little bug!  My point is that I will read just about anything.  But with all there is to read in the world (I should spend a little more time with the news....) I never became connected to a blog; until last spring when I "discovered" teaching blogs!

So I begin.  I am clearly a newbie, a learner, but I teach my students that they need to take risks in their learning and be willing to make mistakes.  I am embracing that truth here.  So I begin with the knowledge that I, too, am a learner who must make mistakes and blunders.  And through it all I will grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment